Thursday, September 18, 2008

"You're a very handsome man." "Thank you Mr. President" "Just get rid of the grin; you look like a schmuck."

Tonight I understudy for the hilarious and bear-like Mike Fotis in the Brave New Workshop's election show "The Lion, The Witch, and the War Hero, or is McCain Able?"

Understudying is a strange beast, because you're stepping into an already established show. When I'm an understudy, I feel as though my job is to re-create the performance as is. This probably goes against all the actor-y rules of "making the role your own," but that's simply not a luxury an understudy has. After all, it's not my role, words, or anything -- it's their show, their performance, and I have to do my best to emulate that (Even more so in this case, given the proximity between getting my script and places). It's not the time for me to rub my Josh stank all over it, there'll be plenty of time for Josh stank in the coming months.

That's why I've spent the last four days researching and truly understanding the importance of being Fotis, which is why I've decided that today's blog will be done in the style of Mike Fotis:



Holy Thursday everybody! We made it!

1. Last night, my family and I celebrated my being cast in Tony and Tina's Wedding with dinner at Buca di Beppo. (We celebrate thematically) At the end of the meal, the waitress arrived with the check, and an addendum that if we call a number at the bottom of the receipt and fill out a three-minute survey, we would get ten dollars knocked off the bill. I think the speed at which I had my phone out and number dialed both marveled and disgusted the waitress. Whatever. I'm never going to see her again. Until she told me if I kept filling out surveys, I'd keep getting ten dollars off. Well played Danielle.

2. I could never explain why, but I think that spiders and bees are plotting against me. I don't want to say too much, in case they also blog.

3. I don't understand why people seem to think joining a gym is a good way to meet people. Whenever I'm at a gym, and I see other people working out, all I can think is: 'Is that their sex face? Cause it's always my sex face.' And then I think by thinking that, I somehow told everyone out loud that it is, indeed, my sex face. And then I go home without working out.

4. A lot of people think that eating spray cheese directly from the can is disgusting. A lot of people are retarded.

5. I drove across the 35W bridge today for the first time in two years. YAY! Well done bridge-makers (Though I unbuckled my seat belt so swimming out would be easier). It occurred to me that this is probably the only time I will acknowledge driving across that bridge as much as I did, and I felt as though my reasons for going across the bridge should be much more prolific, like delivering a miracle tonic to a hepatitis infected village and/or compound. I was just going to my mom's to do laundry. Cause I'm a thirtysomething college freshman.

6. Is it too early to start thinking about my Fringe show? Probably. Probably not. Well, maybe. But, kinda' not. Sure. No. Okay. What?

7. Did you guys get to watch any sports last night? I did, and I feel awful about it.

8. I'm beginning to think I've bitten off more than I can chew in my home improvement projects. I think that because I still have two stories in my house, but no stairs connecting them.

9. Hey! What are you doing tonight? If your answer is any answer besides checking out the one and only night I perform in The Lion, The Witch, and The War Hero, or is McCain Able? at the Brave New Workshop, not only is your answer, it's intentionally malicious.

And that's Thursday. Sorry.

Mike/Josh

3 comments:

Fred said...

Your Mike-blog needs more footnotes.

Unknown said...

Please add some gratuitous usage of the f-word, immediately followed by apologies to your mom.

Also needed: reference to the bat-shit customer currently in the coffee shop where you're typing this.

-Tom, who thought the absence of footnotes was to differentiate this entry from Josh's usual posts.

thelifemosaic said...

Josh, that's awesome news. Great work!