Monday, June 30, 2008

Who is knowing how to read the mind of a robot?

Technically, it's Monday and the sun has set on yet another weekend. Less than technically, I had to work on Friday and Saturday, so my weekend wasn't really weekend, until Saturday, which was actually my Friday, and since I didn't work Sunday or Monday, Sunday was my Saturday and Monday is now my Sunday.

You dig?

I need to lay down.

Anyhow, here's some stuff that I did:

Twin Cities Improv Festival
Though much of the weekend found me behind the bar*, I did manage to sneak out a few times to attend the Second Annual Twin Cities Improv Festival, and I'd like to offer a hearty congratulations to all involved, particularly Mr. Butch Roy - whom upon my second meeting with the man would tell me the tale of the infamous Minneapolis "Festival of Lies" of the late nineties, thus detailing why taking on such a thankless task of risking another festival is fool-hardy and not-out-of-the-question deadly, making it all the more impressive that the festival is in its second quite popular, quite successful, and still growing year.

The limited groups I saw, which included pimps, dachshunds, Texas ladies, pre-taped versions of my friends, and middle-aged men, were hilarious both intentionally and once-or-twice unintentionally.

I consistently had my camera on my person, yet I didn't take a single picture, however, numerous others did and fired away at random, so if you're dying to see what I look like with my mouth open in mid-conversation, hunt away.

Wall-E
I took the mom and the girlfriend to see the latest Pixar miracle and, in short, it's a great big bag of wonderful.

In less than short:
  • Wall-E is the most adorable thing ever. He's cuter than all your old dogs, current babies, and ET. If you deny his cuteness in any way, you have personal demons that you have to battle with, and I'll pray for you.**
  • Much like Austin Powers and Ace Ventura before him, everyone has their own Wall-E impression, however due to Wall-E's limited dialogue, the impression consists of just saying Wall-E's name, and due to the humans mouth inability to duplicate electronic beeps and bonks*** the impressions mostly sound like the last gurgling of a man and/or lady-man who swallowed his own tongue.
  • The girlfriend loved Wall-E and it's no surprise, because Wall-E pushes an extremely pro-hippie message, as well as inadvertently teaching me about art history. I'm not going to lie, I feel bit betrayed, but then I get lost in Wall-E's binocular eyes and all is forgiven. Seriously, I'll follow that precious robot into hell if he asks....through physical comedy.
  • I've long suspected as much, but it appears that Pixar created popular character actor Fred Willard.
  • Though I loved every inch of the movie, I find it a little hard to swallow Disney releasing a movie on the evils of allowing the world to be swallowed by one gigantic corporation.

And now, I plan to enjoy the rest of my Lazy Monday Sunday before my Tuesday Monday.

*Not behind bars. You'd be surprised how often that mistake is made.
** If I thought that would actually help.
*** Except for black Police Academy guy. He might be dead though. Somebody check to see if that guy's dead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. I have a Friday Saturday and Saturday Sunday life b/c I work Sunday-Thursday. Two good things come from my situation 1. I don't have to feel guilty about not going to church because I couldn't go to church anyway because I'm at work. 2. I've got a built in excuse when I don't want to do anything on a Saturday night. "Sorry, I have to work Sunday morning."

Ben Blair, Done That said...

police academy guy is not dead. he's on a geico commercial. Michael Winslow is his non-police academy name.